Assignment Desk 5.1, 5.2, 5.6
Assignment Desk 5.1
Based on the story summaries provided, write a lead for each one. Determine whether a summary lead or a delayed lead is best for each. Be prepared to explain which you like best for each example and why.
- NASA launched another space shuttle this morning. The launch was postponed for two days because of stormy weather. Because of problems occurring during previous shuttle launches, the crew was planning to begin a detailed inspection of the shuttle today. They will be using a camera and sensors mounted at the end of a 50-foot robotic arm.
- Two blood drives are being held in the area during the next 10 days. They are being held because the blood supply in the state is at a critically low level. For many blood types, less than one day’s supply is available at many hospitals.
- The annual Nathan’s Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest in Coney Island, N.Y., was held yesterday. The winner managed to eat just under 54 hot dogs and buns in 12 minutes. The winner was Takeru Kobayashi. It was his sixth consecutive win.
- A local man has been in a coma since suffering severe head injuries in a car crash 19 years ago. He suddenly began speaking a few weeks ago. As time has gone on, he has begun to talk more and even begun to move his limbs.
Assignment Desk 5.2
Pick a story from today’s newspaper. At least one should use a delayed lead. Highlight the lead and the nut graf, if one is used. Find the 5 W’s and an H for the story, indicating whether the information is in the lede or nut graf.
Assignment Desk 5.6
The following selections include errors found in published news stories. Each contains at least one factual error. Using library or online resources, find the errors and correct them.
- The three predatory breeds of sharks that can be found in waters off England are the mako, the poor beagle and the thresher.
- The symphony is inspired by the works of Edgar Allen Poe.
- Warren E. Buffet was best known for his role as CEO of Enron Corporation.
- ABC anchor Brian Williams graciously agreed to deliver the commencement address.
- The assassination of President John F. Kennedy in 1965 was the subject of Harry Livingstone’s 1989 book, “High Treason.”
- Mohammed Ali’s most memorable quote was “Float like a bumblebee, sting like a bee.”
- If scientific predictions for the next century prove accurate, global temperatures could rise as much as 7.7 degrees Celsius by the year 3000.
- The Eiffel Tower looks delicate, but it is a massive structure, weighing nearly 7,000 pounds.
- James Dobson, a well-known minister and psychologist, is also founder and chairman of the group Focus on the Family.
- Those visiting Myrtle Beach, S.C., on vacation will find the Sun-Times newspaper published there to be a good read.