Addario Book Discussion Questions 3
Addario Book Discussion Questions #3
- Why did Addario decide to call the New York Times foreign desk when she and her colleagues were given the chance to make one phone call after being kidnapped in Libya?
- Throughout the book, but especially in the last chapter, Addario uses language that suggests she blames herself for the deaths of her fellow reporters and her driver. Why do you think she feels that way and are her feelings justified?
- What did you think of the ending of the book? Were you satisfied by the way Addario wrapped up her story in the afterword?
- What have you learned from the book that will help you to develop your people skills and improve your interviewing techniques?
- What have you learned from the book that will help you to develop your reporting skills?
- What have you learned from the book that will help you to write feature stories?
- What have you learned about work/life balance from Addario’s book and how do you think that will impact your career as a journalist?
- Choose a journalism skill that you learned about from Addario’s book. Discuss how you can apply that skill to your feature writing this semester.
- What did you learn from Addario about writing stories about people who hate your country or hate reporters?
- This book is being made into a movie directed by Steven Spielberg with Jennifer Lawrence playing Lynsey Addario (see http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-steven-spielberg-jennifer-lawrence-lynsey-addario-20150303-story.html). How do you think the book will compare to the movie and do you think the movie will do anything to change America’s opinions of journalism?